Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Batch cooking continued

Christina/Mommy Scott asked what I do with the bacon and chicken when I batch cook. I started to write a response in the comments section but it was getting long. I decided to do short 2nd post about it.

Bacon is such a pain to cook. I like to cook as much of it as I can while I'm making a mess. Now that I've found the joy of baking bacon I don't mind cooking it. It's still nice to have a bunch of it ready for quick BLT sandwiches or to throw into a dish (because bacon makes EVERYTHING taste better lol) Cover a cookie sheet with foil, if you have a rack that fits on your cookie sheet it's even better healthwise to cook the bacon up off the cooking surface and melted fat. If not just lay out the bacon on the cookie sheet and throw in a 400 degree oven for 15-20 mins depending on how crunchy you like it. Allow to drain on paper towels, a paper bag or clean newspaper. After drained and cooled just throw it in a baggie and then into the freezer. They usually don't stick together to much and are easy to separate if they do.

Chicken can be done multiple ways. Mostly I boil the pieces (or whole chickens), cool and debone. This works great for leg quarters and thighs. The advantage to this method is that you also end up with stock to add to the deboned chicken which makes awesome chicken and gravy or chicken noodle soup. I also throw the deboned chicken into a baggie and freeze in a lump for BBQ chicken sandwiches, fajitas or a quick throw in for other chicken dishes.

I have to say that boneless skinless chicken breasts don't really lend themselves well to precooking as they dry out if you're not careful. When I do them, I brown a huge bunch, leaving it still a little pink and wet in the center. Slice into strips and package up. Heating up the strips finishes the cooking process.

Bone in breasts go quickly in the oven. Bake like normal, strip the meat off the bone and slice into strips. If you're worried that the freezer will dry out the strips, freeze the whole breast and then slice after thawing. Whichever is easier for you. Since that's what we're after....ease.

1 comments:

Mommy Scott said...

yay! thank you!! ((hugs)) we love bacon too and it DOES make everything taste better lol :).