Friday, October 24, 2008

Breakfast at our House

Breakfast is supposed to be the most important meal of the day, but most weekdays, at my house, it is very rushed or ignored all together. When my oldest two were small, I had a rule that they could not leave the house in the morning until they ate "something". Over the years I relaxed that rule & by the time the next two started school the "rule" was a distant memory.

I've recently been trying to get everyone eating "something" first thing in the mornings again. Some days it is a planned and organized meal, but most of the time it is something simple, like English muffins with butter & jelly or even a sandwich bag of dry cereal on their way out to the bus stop. I tried buying frozen waffles & while the kids like them, they are pricey & we always seem to waste almost as many as get eaten. I haven't been motivated enough to make my own waffles & freeze them, but it is something I've started to consider.

We've discovered a few recipes from the Lots of Kids Recipe page (great resource) that are big hits for breakfast and are always on the look out for more. This French Toast sounds delicious, it is on my list of things to try. I also found a recipe for Overnight Casserole that we will be having one cold morning in the near future. Oatmeal Casserole is easy to make the night before & has been a big hit, the little kids & I eat any leftovers as snack cake with our lunch. I also created an Apple & Oatmeal Casserole version of my own.

The kids were resistant at first, now they are eager to get up in the morning to see what I've got cooking. Breakfast really may be the most important meal of the day.

0 comments: