Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Getting READY for Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is one of the most popular holidays in my family. I cook a ton of foods that most everybody likes, we eat way too much & we watch football all day on TV. This is the one meal of the year where I go out of my way to make sure that everyone gets several of their personal favorites, even when it means making more than one version of the same dish. This year I will plan to feed 25 people. Our immediate family is 11, then whomever Hubby & the older boys invite and any extended family that is able to get here. I have an open door policy on Thanksgiving, anyone we know is welcome to come. Last year we had a 15 lb turkey and a 5 lb ham & there were very few leftovers, so this year I plan to buy a 20 lb turkey. We always get a spiral ham, so I'll see if I can find one of those that is a bit bigger this year as well.

Our tentative menu

Baked turkey

Honey glazed ham

white bread stuffing

cornbread stuffing

mashed potatoes

giblet gravy

baked sweet potatoes

candied sweet potatoes w/marshmallows

sweet & sour green beans

canned cranberry jell

homemade whole cranberry sauce

spiced peaches

corn on the cob

veggie tray

pickle & olive tray

homemade bread rolls

2 homemade deep dish apple pies

2 homemade pumpkin pies

cherry pie

peach pie

Over the next couple weeks leading up to Thanksgiving I will be posting recipes for many of these things on my food blog. Leave a comment here if there is something in particular you are interested in & I will try to bump it to the top of my list. I'll update with links as I get the recipes posted.

0 comments: