Friday, December 5, 2008

Pumpkin bread

Pumpkin (nut) Bread is a favorite at my house. All three of my sons LOVE pumpkin, so just about anything pumpkin will be devoured. A while back I saw a post on Cooking with Anne about preparing fresh pumpkin for use in recipes. I knew I had to try it. I used my mixer to puree it rather than dragging out the food processor or the blender. It worked really well.

Ingredients
2 cups pumpkin puree (large can if using canned)
2 2/3 cup sugar
1/2 t allspice
1 t cinnamon
4 eggs
2/3 cup water
2/3 cup shortening
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 t baking powder
2 t baking soda
1 1/2 t salt
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans (optional)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)


Preheat the oven to 350. Spray two 8X4 loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray. In a medium bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar, spices, eggs, water and shortening. Mix well until there are no lumps. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt. Fold the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture. Add nuts &/or raisins if desired. Fill loaf pans half full. Cook @ 350 for one hour or until wooden tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pans for 10 minutes before moving to a cooling rack. When it is completely cool, wrap nutbread in foil to store. This recipe also works great for mini loaves to give as gifts. Bake mini loaves for about 35 minutes.


1 comments:

Mirz said...

Pumpkin is a favorite here, too. Last time I made pumpkin chocolate chip bread and it was a hit. I like your recipe. I have some "fresh" pumpkin in the freezer I'll have to defrost and try it.