Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Fifteen minutes or less....


I value healthy eating, but I also value my sanity :). As a mommy of five precious little bundles, managing the home and homeschooling, I am left with very little mental energy to really think about much else, like cooking! I have little unwritten rules to make my life easier, one of which is making dinner prep no more than 15 minutes long. Any longer and it's not a practical meal for me to make for my family more than once every great now and again. Prep time does not include cooking time, so if it takes me 5 minutes to throw a casserole together and an hour to cook it, that still qualifies.

We love to eat pizza around here (what good ol' American family doesn't?), but I am unwilling to pay for the delivered kind and right now I don't have the time management skills to make my own pizza dough every time we have pizza. Thus was born the tortilla pizza. I'm sure it has been made many times before in many different ways, but here is how we do it around here. General ingredients are as follows: 1) Burrito sized flour tortillas, purchased in the ethnic food section for $2 for a pack of 10 (each has 5 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein per serving), 2) shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese, purchased in bulk from Costco to cut back on the cost, 3) pepperoni, also purchased in bulk at costco to cut back on the cost, 4) fresh roma tomatoes purchased at costco in bulk (we LOVE costco!). You can add all sorts of stuff to these if you'd like (green peppers, onions and mushrooms for instance), but this is the basic recipe.

Heat your oven to 425 degree F. On tortilla #1, add slices of roma tomato, top with cheese, then add pepperoni. Pop it in the oven on a cookie sheet for about 4 minutes. While first one is cooking, prepare the second one. As soon as the first one is done, slide it onto a plate and pop the already prepared tortilla in the oven and proceed like that until you have all that you need cooked. One will serve and adult in our house (served with cut up veggies and fruit of some kind). Also, if you do not have fresh tomatoes (or just don't like them!) a can of crushed tomatoes is a great substitute.

I hope you enjoy!


Large Family Cooking

Large Family Cooking

4 comments:

Courtney said...

Great idea and totally doable! Thanks for the tip!! This would be a good go to meal when my husband works late!

Mommy Scott said...

@courtney I hope you enjoy it! :) I made it up out of a need to do something simple when my hubby had to work late too

Heather said...

We have 5 kids also and recently bought the premade pizza dough at Sams- It was available in a box of about 20 for around $20. It is super easy add toppings and cook. We bought it from the "snack area" at the front...It's worth a try!

Mrs Adept said...

Oh I'm so glad I found your blog. I am so going to try this idea - becuase yeah - it gets a bit too much to make the dough when we want pizzas. :)